Types Of Drums – All The Different Drum Sets
Jump To Content
- 1 Types Of Drums – All The Different Drum Sets
- 2 Our Top Drum Choices:
- 3 Mendini by Cecilio 13 inch 3-Piece Kids/Junior Drum Set with Throne, Cymbal, Pedal & Drumsticks, Metallic Black, MJDS-1-BK
- 4 Mendini by Cecilio 16 inch 3-Piece Kids/Junior Drum Set with Adjustable Throne, Cymbal, Pedal & Drumsticks, Metallic Blue, MJDS-3-BL
- 5 LAGRIMA 5 Piece Full Size Drum Set with Stand, Cymbals, Hi-Hat, Pedal, Adjustable Drum Stool and 2 Drum Sticks for Adult/Kids(Black, 22 Inches)
- 6 Ashthorpe 5-Piece Complete Kid's Junior Drum Set with Genuine Brass Cymbals - Children's Advanced Beginner Kit with 16" Bass, Adjustable Throne, Cymbals, Hi-Hats, Pedals & Drumsticks - Blue
- 7 Pearl RS525SCC31 Roadshow 5-Piece Drum Set, Jet Black
- 8 Rise by Sawtooth Full Size Student Drum Set with Hardware and Cymbals, Crimson Red Sparkle
- 9 Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 5pc Drum Shell Pack - 20" Kick, Honey Amber
- 10 MAPEX RB5294FTCDK Rebel 5-Piece Drum Set with Hardware and Cymbals Black with 22-Inch Bass Drum
- 11 NAMES OF DRUMS
- 12 HISTORY OF DRUMS:
- 13 WHO INVENTED THE DRUM SET?
- 14 FACTS ABOUT TYPES OF DRUMS
- 15 Conclusion
There are many things to consider when thinking about the types of drums there are. We would go into them and explain them broadly for you to understand very well. But before then, it is important for you to note that there are two major types: acoustic drum sets and electronic drum set.
Our Top Drum Choices:
ACOUSTIC DRUM SET:
ROCK/POWER: this is a very popular category of acoustic drums. They are used by a lot of bands today because of their popularity and size. These drums come with a 12” high tom, 13” mid tom, and 16” floor tom. They also come with a 22” bass drum, but the snare size is based on the preference of the drummer. Although most times, the snare is usually 14” by 5 ½ or 6”. You can now see why rock songs have more power and heaviness – they use large drum kits!
FUSION: these drums are for those that play a wide range of music styles. They come with a 10” high tom, 12” mid tom, and 14” floor tom. The bass drum can either be 20” or 22”. They are not as loud as the rock drums, but they allow the player to move quickly and have a faster response.
JAZZ: this is a drum set that is supposed to be quick and light. The toms are usually the same diameter as the fusion toms. However, they are shallower than fusion Even the bass drum is smaller – they are usually about 18” by 14”.
ELECTRONIC DRUM SET:
E-drums; as they are popularly called, are more versatile than their acoustic counterparts. These drums give you wider access to several types of drums and percussion sounds. They started a bit shabby, but their modules or “brains” have been modified to meet the needs of the modern drummer.
Mendini by Cecilio 13 inch 3-Piece Kids/Junior Drum Set with Throne, Cymbal, Pedal & Drumsticks, Metallic Black, MJDS-1-BK
- Recommended age group: 3 to 6 years old
- 8" x 13" Bass drum with 4 lugs with bass drum pedal
- 6"x 8" Mounted tom with 4 lugs and 4"x 10 " Mounted snare with 4 lugs
- 8" Cymbal with cymbal arm
- Includes: a pair of wood drum sticks, padded drum throne, and easy to read set up instructions (assembly is required)
This is a great drum set for the aspiring drummer.
Smaller sized genuine hard wood shells with triple flanged hoops make this the perfect first set for the younger player.
It includes everything needed to get off to a great start. The drums and cymbal are mounted off the bass drum for easy set up while providing a small foot print, taking up minimal space.
Buy with confidence as it comes with a 1 year warranty against any manufacturer's defects.
Mendini by Cecilio 16 inch 3-Piece Kids/Junior Drum Set with Adjustable Throne, Cymbal, Pedal & Drumsticks, Metallic Blue, MJDS-3-BL
$116.21 in stock
2 used from $116.21
- Bass drum: 16-inch x 11-inch
- Mounted Tom: 10-inch x 6-inch
- Snare: 10-inch x 5-inch with stand
- 9.5-inch cymbal with cymbal arm
- Includes: pair of wooden drum sticks, bass drum chain driven pedal, adjustable padded drum throne, easy to read set up instructions (assembly is required)
This Mendini by Cecilio 3-Piece Junior Drum Set with Cymbals is an "all-in-one" solution for the aspiring young drummer.
This set has everything you need to get set up and playing in no time. It is a fully functional drum set designed specifically for smaller drummers.
It is a perfect gift for the young drummer. Buy with confidence as it comes with a 1 year warranty against any manufacturer's defects.
LAGRIMA 5 Piece Full Size Drum Set with Stand, Cymbals, Hi-Hat, Pedal, Adjustable Drum Stool and 2 Drum Sticks for Adult/Kids(Black, 22 Inches)
- 【LAGRIMA 5 Piece Full Size Drum Set】 The bass drum adopts a 6-lug structure, and the snare drum is equipped with a matte leather design to enhance the tone. Three-layer electroplating process, no rust and more wear-resistant.
- 【Thick Drum Cavity Design】 Preferred 4 layers of poplar wood + 6 layers of maple wood, the sound can be more energetic. The smaller the amplitude, the stronger the radiation. BASS drums need strong bass, and strengthen the drum cavity design to make the overtones diffuse slowly and enhance the tone.
- 【Telescopic Integrated Kick Drum Leg】 Fully adjustable, telescopic to adjust the height, and the surface is electroplated. The head is designed with cleats, the cleats are adjustable and retractable, and the kick drum is more stable.
- 【The New Upgrade of Adult Drum Set】 Double-layer oil drum skin, high hardness and toughness, enhance the impact of grain. The integral pressing ring molding process, the BASS drum pressing ring adopts wooden pressing ring, and the integral forming of the pressing ring ensures the consistency and the stability of adjustment.
- 【INCLUDED】 22 "x 16" Bass drum x 1, 12 "x 9" Mounted tom x 1, 10 "x 8" Mounted tom x 1, 14 "x 5.5" Mounted snare (With Stand) x 1, 16inch x 16inch floor drum x 1, 14inch Hi-Hat Cymbal (With Stand) x 1, 16inch Straight Cymbal (with stand) x 1,7A wooden drum sticks x 2. Bass Pedal x1,Round padded adjustable drum throne x 1,Attached installation video link.
Ashthorpe 5-Piece Complete Kid's Junior Drum Set with Genuine Brass Cymbals - Children's Advanced Beginner Kit with 16" Bass, Adjustable Throne, Cymbals, Hi-Hats, Pedals & Drumsticks - Blue
- Ideal junior set: This complete starter drum set is perfect for children ages 3-12 years old, providing everything needed for beginners learning to play and perfect their practice, including a 16" x 11" bass drum, 12" x 10" floor tom, 10" x 6" and 8" x 6" mounted toms, 10" x 5" snare, 8" hi-hat cymbals, 10" crash/ride cymbal, all stands, padded throne (stool), drumsticks, hardware, pedals, and drum adjustment key.
- Top components for rich sound: This deluxe set is crafted utilizing the highest quality materials, such as genuine Poplar hardwood shells, triple flanged hoops, and upgraded brass cymbals, all chosen for their ability to maximize frequency response and resonance for the ultimate acoustic experience.
- Compact & sturdy design: This drum set offers a complete learning experience wrapped up in a perfect-for-kids size. Crafted with attention to detail, this well-made set is built to withstand enthusiastic young drummers, while maintaining lasting performance.
- Stage-worthy appearance: Available in several finishes to suit any preference, each set features top-quality, all-chrome hardware and accents.
- Some assembly required: Detailed, easy-to-read instructions for frustration-free setup.
Introduce your child to the wonders of music with this premium Ashthorpe 5-piece junior drum set.
Ideally for musicians 3-12 years old, this professional junior set is the perfect way to allow your child free reign to experiment and practice playing, and is a fantastic upgrade from traditional plastic children's drum sets.
Featuring hardwood (Poplar) shells, triple flanged hoops, upgraded brass cymbals, chrome accents and finished with a glossy, vibrant exterior, these drums provide impressive sound and quality in an aesthetically pleasing design that will delight young aspiring musicians.
This Ashthorpe drum set looks like and compares to a full-sized adult set, making it a favorite for grown-up musicians who love engaging in parent-child play time, each on their own respective set!
This drum set includes all instruments and hardware your child needs to get started or enhance their musical collection.
16" x 11" bass drum with upgraded chain-driven pedal 10" x 5" snare...
Pearl RS525SCC31 Roadshow 5-Piece Drum Set, Jet Black
- Complete Drum Set -The Pearl Roadshow drum kit comes complete with everything you need to start drumming right out of the box. This set comes with drums, hardware, cymbals, and drum throne. We even throw in sticks and a stick bag to complete the set
- Set Includes-22x16 bass drum, 14x5.5 snare, 10x8 & 12x9 rack toms, 16x16 floor tom, cymbal stand, Hi-hat stand, snare stand, Two rack tom holder, kick pedal, drum throne, 16" crash/ride cymbal, 14" Hi-hats, 2pair of maple drumsticks, and stick bag
- Hardwood Drum Shells and Triple Flanged Steel Hoops-6-ply 7mm Poplar hardwood shell and a hand cut 45 degree bearing edge. This creates a single air resonance chamber to project a note when the drum head is struck, and makes the head eaiser to tune
- Double Braced Stands- Each stand is height adjustable with die-cast tier joints, and all tilters lock to practically any position you adjust them to. Includes snare stand, cymbal stand, hi-hat stand, dual chain bass drum pedal, drum throne
- Includes cymbals and sticks - Roadshow comes complete with a 16" Brass Crash/Ride Cymbal, and a set of 14" Hybrid Hi-Hats. 2 pair of maple drum sticks, stickbag and a Pearl Drum poster
Pearl Roadshow drums are built with 9 ply 7mm Poplar shells and 1.2mm triple flanged hoops.
Comes with heads and double braced hardware.
16" crash-ride cymbal,
14" hybrid hi hats,
and professional stick bag,
Rise by Sawtooth Full Size Student Drum Set with Hardware and Cymbals, Crimson Red Sparkle
- Rise by Sawtooth Full Size Complete Beginner/Student's Drum Set
- 22x16 Bass Drum, 12x8 & 13x9 Toms, 16x16 Floor Tom, 14x5 Snare Drum
- 6 Ply poplar shells with 45 degree bearing edges
- Hardware includes: Hi Hat Stand, 2 Tier Cymbal Stand, Bass Drum pedal, Throne, (2) Tom Arms, (3) Floor Tom Legs, Drumsticks, & Drum Key
- Cymbals included: Cast Beginner's 14" Hi Hats & 16" Crash Ride
Sawtooth introduces it's newest line, Rise by Saw tooth, with this excellent student drum set.
This drum set is not a toy, this is a full size 6-ply poplar drum set that delivers great sounds, and was built to last. Poplar is a sought after wood that produces a smooth and even tone, boosted low-end warmth with soft highs and Mids.
This rocking drum set includes everything you'll need to get started on your road to drum god fame. Rise to the occasion with a Rise by Sawtooth drum set!
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 5pc Drum Shell Pack - 20" Kick, Honey Amber
- Included Drums: 20x17 kick, 10x7 rack tom, 12x8 rack tom, 14x13 floor tom, 14x5.5 snare
- Included Hardware: TH-945B 3-hole receiver with (2) YESS tom mounts, (3) floor tom legs
- 100% birch drum shells with air seal system
- 45-Degree bearing edges and Absolute-style lugs
- No cymbals, stands, or kick pedal, or throne included
5-piece Shell Pack with 10" and 12" Rack Toms,
14" Floor Tom, 1
4" Snare Drum,
and 20" Bass Drum - Honey Amber
MAPEX RB5294FTCDK Rebel 5-Piece Drum Set with Hardware and Cymbals Black with 22-Inch Bass Drum
- Rebel Double Braced Hardware
- New Mapex Lug Design
- Remo Self Muffling Bass Drum Head
- Equipped with Cymbals, Throne and Sticks
- 9ply, 7. 2mm poplar shells provide plenty of tone while the bass drum also delivers a solid low-end punch
The Mapex RB5294FTCDK Rebel 5-Piece Black Drum Set comes complete with Hardware & Cymbals so you're ready to set up and play right out of the box!
The Rebel Series is designed to make the first time drummer's experience one to remember.
This set comes with stands, cymbals, a throne, pedals, and even sticks!
The 9 ply, 7.2mm poplar shells provide plenty of tones while the bass drum also delivers a solid low-end punch.
NAMES OF DRUMS
There are three main drums on a drum set: the bass drum, the snare drum, and the toms.
this is also called the kick drum, and it is the biggest on the set.
It provides a regular rhythm to the song, although you can still play some variations with it.
It is the lowest pitched drum on the set, and it is used to provide the basic beat of the song.
It can be played with a single pedal or a double bass drum pedal. Some drummers prefer to use two bass drums with two kicks.
this is what a lot of drummers call the “heart of the drum set”, especially the rock drummers.
It is popular for its ability to provide the backbeat in the song. It is played with both hands or either of the two hands, depending on the drummer and what is to be played.
One distinct thing about the snare drum is its sound, and this is due to the bed of rattles underneath its bottom head.
These rattles vibrate when the top head is hit to create a distinct sound like no other.
These are the most versatile set of drums, and they come in different sizes depending on the genre of music. They are the most numerous on a drum set as they provide the majority of most fills and solos.
HISTORY OF DRUMS:
Before the modern drum set was developed, drums were used in the military and orchestras.
Back then, different people used to play the individual parts separately. It was until the 1840s that instrumentalists began to experiment with foot pedals to enable them to play more than one drum at a time.
It is very funny how that splendid innovation stayed in the shadows for 75 more years before finally getting produced on a large scale. In the 1860s, a number of percussionists started combining multiple drums to make a set.
This was where the bass drum, snare, cymbals, toms, and more became one family. Later, orchestras that did not have enough in their budget started to use this musical instruments – drum set that played by a single drummer.
This helped contribute to the creation of the drum set as it is.
WHO INVENTED THE DRUM SET?
The drum set was invented by William F. Ludwig, Sr. and his brother Theobald Ludwig. These two founded the Ludwig company we all know today – Ludwig & Ludwig Co.
They founded the company in 1909 and patented the first drum set pedal. It was later in 1912 that the snare drum wire was introduced. Since then, the drum set as gone through an evolution to become the instrument we know and love today.
FACTS ABOUT TYPES OF DRUMS
✅ The oldest drum in the world is the Alligator drum used in China. It was made with alligator hides and clay. It is known for its use in ritual ceremonies as far back as 5500 BC.
✅ The first drum pedal was founded in 1909 by Ludwig
✅ Drumming is known to burn more calories in 30 minutes than cycling and hiking, in the same amount of time.
✅ Drum shells are made from different woods because each wood has a unique characteristic. Birch has a powerful and aggressive sound with less resonance. Maple has a warm and resonant sound. Mahogany and oak are known for loud volume drums.
✅ The thinner the plies of a drum set the more resonant it gets.
✅ The first electric drum was introduced in the 1980s. This new innovation was believed to make the acoustic drums obsolete. However, a lot of drummers still prefer the acoustic version of drums to the electronic one till date.
✅ The drum set is divided into four sections: the hardware (all stands and pedals), breakables (sticks, throne, cymbals, brushes, etc.), extensions (tambourines, bells, chimes), and shells (toms, snare, and bass).
✅ The largest drum set in the world consisted of 813 pieces and was built in 36 years by Dr. Mark Temperato. He is working to expand it to 1000 plus pieces.
✅ Drum sets are one of the most popular instruments today
✅ Drum sets are played with a pair of sticks, mallets, or brushes.
You can see more drum set pictures here
As you can clearly see, there are many types of drums for you to choose from. As a beginner, your choices are much wider as you have the option to go with a well-known brand name but at a very affordable price.
That being said, as you progress and move on to a higher level of drumming, you can upgrade your drum set, and there is no limit to the budget at this stage although, there are still some great drum set types for you to choose from.
10 Types of Jazz Drummers
A fun little video